A.W. Tozer said, "Worship is the missing jewel in modern evangelicalism." I was created to worship the Lord, yet how often do I sit down with a list of things that I must accomplish in my quiet time. Time with the Lord often becomes (very subtly) a selfish driven exercise where I feel that if I accomplish my list I will be right with God. This faulty view sets us up for failure during the day. Time with the Lord in the morning is not the end.
Joseph S. Carroll compared time spent with the Lord in the morning to tuning an instrument. We are simply preparing ourselves so that the Lord can use us the rest of the day. Our time with the Lord in the morning is only the beginning.
Having read this in his book yesterday, today I asked myself the question, "What kind of instrument am I"? Is my instrument ready for the Master to use? I am to yield my members as instruments of righteousness unto God. If I am only an instrument, then what right do I have to boast in any of my accomplishments?
I Corinthians 1:29 & 31 says, "That no flesh should glory in his presence . . . he that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord." When a renown musician finishes his performance, we do not applaud his violin. We applaud the mastery of the musician who can turn dead wood, wire, and horse hair into emotion manipulating music. What an affront to the musician if we congratulate his instrument - if we praise and worship his violin. It is the Musician who alone is worthy of "glory, and honor" for He has created the music.
However, the instrument must be in excellent working condition if the musician is to have freedom to use his talents. Even the greatest musicians will be handicapped by a shoddy and stubborn instrument. If the strings on a violin refuse to stay in tune the musician will sound awful no matter how great his talent.
It is our responsibility to prepare ourselves each day to be a well tuned, clean, lubricated instrument in the hands of our Creator. "For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them." (Eph. 2:10)
God has created us so that He can use us. We must die to self - whether desires for popularity, wealth, prestige; or desires to fulfill other "lusts of the flesh." We must "crucify the flesh with it's affections and lusts" (Gal. 5:24)
Galatians 2:20 says, "I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I but Christ liveth in me . . ." I am only an instrument. At the core of my being I am "corrupted according to deceitful lusts." (Eph. 4:22). My "heart is deceitful and desperately wicked" (Jer. 17:9). "In my flesh dwelleth no good thing." (Rom. 7:18). Not a pretty picture of my instrument. It is this flesh that I am to crucify each day of my life.
As I die to myself, God will take an instrument that in itself is not fit for the Master, and through the blood of Jesus Christ He will wash it & sanctify it - and delight in it. On some days He will perform with that instrument so that others will be blessed. But EVERY day He delights to spend time alone playing that instrument. Playing songs that He alone will hear and enjoy - for His pleasure.
- Paul
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
You are so right in that the time we set aside to spend a moment with our creator is rushed, and we feel like we have to accomplish much during those few minutes. There are days that I get up and think, "What did I just read?"
As a musician thoughts of our Master tuning us truly touches your heart. It does mine as well. But the verses about the potter and the clay are the ones that have been on my mind recently. Just as the Lord is the one who tunes us, He also molds and makes us into what He wants us to be.
Thanks for sharing this with us.
We love YOU!!!
Post a Comment