Friday, October 2, 2009

Working with Weeds

One of the consequences for man's sin was the increase of labor - God created weeds. In Genesis 3:19 God told Adam, "In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread . . ." Since I don't sustain my life by farming, I often forget about this curse as I go throughout my daily tasks. Often I am frustrated when something that should have been easy to accomplish doesn't go as smoothly as I had planned. Sometimes I say, "Lord, you've got to be kidding! Why isn't this working? This should have been a simple, glitch-free task!"

This morning in my devotional time I was reminded that life is not made up of simple, glitch-free tasks. It is filled with weeds. I cannot escape this law by not being a farmer. Whether I am a teacher, doctor, designer, lawyer, contractor, secretary, etc. I am under the curse and God (still in love) will see to it that my life is filled with weeds.
"life is not made up of simple, glitch-free tasks. It is filled with weeds."
The next time I begin to be frazzled by logistical errors in my work, I hope that I will remember that God calls me to follow Him through the weeds. Rather than ruin my day, they ought to point me to the Savior – to remind me of my great need for Him and how good He is to have died in my place to save me from the mess that both Adam and my sin has created. Every weed is an opportunity to focus on God’s goodness!

1 comment:

Kelli said...

I love that you said God will get you "through the weeds." He doesn't always pick them out of your way...it's getting through them that makes you a stronger person.
Sometimes I forget and try to pull out my own weed killer. It doesn't work...it's all in His hands.
Love you!